Town was later named by the Saxons. Their name for a fort was caest…
Chesterfield began as a fort and was built around 70 AD. Since the place was exceedingly full of natural minerals like tin, lead and coal the Romans probably settled here. The Roman fort later was discovered to possess already been built on a vintage iron-age fort. It is thought that by the first 2nd century the Romans had no further a requirement for the fort and moved on leaving it abandoned.
The town was later called by the Saxons. Their name for a fort was caester and they called the available fields where cattle grazed a Feld. So when the Saxons came and settled they called the location Caester Feld which by the 10th Century was changed to Chesterfield. Right now though, the tiny settlement had rapidly grown in to a thriving community. Centuries were taken two by it for Chesterfield becoming a growing town. A Charter granted by King John in 1204 gave the Lord of The Manor the proper to hold regular markets and also a, which lasted for 8 days during September, once a year.
In 2004 Chesterfields Open Air Market celebrated its 800th Anniversary of its official opening.
As time went on life was not always perfect in Chesterfield. Their main industry in the middle ages was the making of wool while leather was prominent too with plenty of Tanners, Skinners, Glovers and Saddlers. The wool industry flourished until the 17th Century before dying out however the leather work continued to prosper until the 18th Century.
None of the was to greatly help with the numerous conditions which were around though. Leprosy hit the region so bad a Leper hostel dedicated to St Leonard must be created. Then exactly like every where else in the sixteenth century the Black Death struck. There was a severe outbreak in 1586-1587and unluckily, Chesterfield was struck again in 1608.
Chesterfield was somewhat oblivious to the industrial revolution of the 18th Century but gradually continued to grow with the aid of better communications helped by the building of TurnPike streets, the chesterfield tube and the arrival of rail, courtesy of George Stephenson, who lived at Tapton House from 1838 1848 and is currently buried in the Holy Trinity Church.
In 1892 the border of the borough was changed and the nearby settlement of Brampton became part of Chesterfield. This was the initial of an indication and many changes that Chesterfield was a thriving and growing community. By this time around it’d its own separate police and fire brigade.
A lot more changes were soon to come along beginning with the introduction of Electric street lights and trams, which were soon ditched, as Chesterfield finally trapped with its neighbouring villages and joined in with the industrial revolution. The 20th Century had arrived.
With the introduction of Council properties in the 20s and 30s, the further boundary changes getting Hasland and Newbold into the folds of Chesterfield and the building of the new Town Hall( 1938 ),Pomegranate Theatre ( 1949) and The Nth Derbyshire Royal Hospital (1984), Chesterfield started to look very similar because it does today.
Up to now Chesterfield offers, as well as its traditional markets, a centre opened in 1981 as well as an even newer Shopping centre as precedent has been taken by tourism the peak district the retail industry over the failing manufacturing industry opened in 2000.
Therefore there you’ve it a short history of Chesterfield.
One now wonders what will the present hi tech world of computers and the internet have available with this Historic Market Town. fort worth structural steel fabricator